Make a plan by setting goals and deadlines to ensure that all packing is completed by moving day. A good idea is to pack one room at a time, remembering to label each box with contents and destination. Print off this list to help prepare:
5 weeks before move
- Request estimates from removal companies, compare quotes and book date early.
- Make an inventory of everything to be moved, one room at a time.
- Get enough boxes and packing materials to start packing now, if not using a packing service.
- If relocating through your company, confirm with employer what moving expenses you are entitled to.
4 weeks before move
- Check and make an inventory of all furniture for dents and scratches and highlight this to the removal company on the day of move.
- Cancel or transfer telephone numbers.
- Cancel all newspapers, milk, window cleaners etc.
3 weeks before move
- Organise all utilties to be disconnected and reconnected in new location.
- Notify banks and subscriptions of new address.
- Notify doctor, dentist etc of new address.
2 weeks before move
- Ensure all valuables are safely packed in a secure box to avoid losing them during the move.
- Copy any important files on your computer prior to closing and packing it.
- Notify friends and family of your new address and phone number.
- Check your home insurance to ensure you are covered for the move and inform them of new address details.
1 week before move
- Arrange for your post to be forwarded.
- If you can, arrange for someone to look after your children or pets during the move.
- Pack essential items required for first few nights in your new home in a separate box.
- Defrost your fridge and freezer.
- Run through the inventory with removal company and highlight any fragile items.
- Check they have the correct address of your new house.
- Ask for a mobile number from the driver and give him yours in case of any unforeseen problems.
- Lock all doors and windows and hand keys to estate agent or solicitor.